Thursday, August 03, 2017

Rest in Thee

"My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the Lord." Psalm 84:2




A good friend passed away at 84 years old. I will always remember Dr. Commandante as full of energy and enthusiasm, with many plans to bring the Architecture students to our prayer meetings and Bible studies. He was funny, articulate and laughed a lot. He was sweet too, always affectionate especially with his family and friends. I am very sad I was not able to visit him when he was sick and having a hard time with his cancer. I am sad for his family who will miss his presence. 


But I am happy for him because now he is with the One who loves him most. I am sure that Dr. C as we fondly called him, yearned and pined and waited to be in His Father's courts, in His Father's arms. We are born with that yearning. Most of us just don't recognize it. Saint Augustine realized it after he had his fill of worldly pleasures. He wrote, "You have made us for Yourself. My heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee."  


Indeed we are all restless, searching for something to fulfill us, enamored by passing fancies and fading glories. What is it now my heart is pining for?  A red dress in the magazine page? A vacation in Paris? A scholarship in Harvard? Whatever it is, it is a small, pitiful reflection of our hunger for the eternal. 




Lord, may I find my rest in You even now! There are many distractions in the world. May I choose rightly! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy