Tuesday, August 08, 2017

The Meekest Man

"Now, Moses himself was by far the meekest man on the face of the earth." Numbers 12:3




Meekest? Why would God choose the meekest man to do work that would require a lot of courage, resoluteness, strong leadership qualities, decisiveness, etc.? And yet God chose Moses, a man who stuttered, and hemmed and hawed. “I am not eloquent,” Moses told God at the burning bush. “I never have been. So I think you have asked the wrong man. I'm clumsy with words. I have a heavy and awkward tongue." (Exodus 4:10). I've felt like that many times! When I'm chosen to give a talk or a sharing, when I'm invited to a TV interview, when I'm assigned a task, or even in my day to day work. Why me? When there are so many more capable and talented? 


We can take comfort in God's answer to Moses: "Who has made man's mouth? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go, and do as I have told you. I will help you speak well, and teach you what to say." 


God can only teach us what to say and do if we take time to be with Him. Like Moses, we should always talk to Him. In the Gospel for today, Matthew 14:22-36, Jesus went up to the mountain by Himself to pray. This had been a difficult day for Him. John the Baptist had been beheaded, He ministered to a vast crowd, preaching and teaching, healing the sick and feeding the multitude. He needed to be with His Father. 


When we are tired, feeling helpless and inadequate, do we find rest and reassurance in our Father's bosom? If Jesus, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, needed the time to separate from the world to commune with the eternal Father, shouldn't we as well? 


Lord, may we drink of Your refreshing living water and feed of Your Word every day. We need You! 


1 comment:

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy