Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A Whole Night in Prayer

"Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, 
and He spent the night in prayer to God. 
When day came, He called the disciples to Himself and from them He chose twelve." 
Luke 6:12



Before Jesus chose the twelve apostles 
(from the Greek word meaning "one who is sent away", like a messenger or ambassador), He prayed. This was a very important decision. Jesus prayed the whole night!

Most of the time, my prayers bring good fruit. Someone gets healed. A problem is solved. A sister gets a job. We reach somewhere safely. I have been praying big and small prayers since I was very young. 
But sometimes my prayers are not answered. My mother died 4 years ago. I am still waiting for God to answer my prayers for my father, and brother, and Arnold, and many other brothers and sisters. 

But I look at Jesus and see that after praying the whole night up in the mountain (not in the comfort of His bed), 
He still chose one man, Judas Iscariot. 
We can't say that was a good choice, can we? But I do believe it was an inspired choice. In a way, because of Judas and what he did, I am saved. Because of Judas, God's plan was fulfilled. But what of Judas? God only knows. If only he repented.

So when my prayers aren't answered 
the way I want God to answer, I can only look to Jesus' prayer on the mountain 
and trust that God knows best. He has His own purposes. A bigger plan. A grander vision. I need only to stay in faith and trust that He has my very best in mind.

My 92-year old father has been lying in bed for the past weeks. One verse he often repeats to all of us is, Romans 8:28. “ALL things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose.” 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post.
    Your 92 year old father is a very wise man.
    XX
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy