Saturday, March 23, 2019

Not a Slave

“...he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation.” Luke 15:13




We know the story of the prodigal son, his father and the “righteous” son who became angry when his father welcomed the prodigal back with a party. I can relate more to the older son who stayed behind to help take care of the estate, fulfilling all the orders of his father. I would probably feel the same way if I got home after a hard day at work to find a party in full swing because my younger sibling came home after squandering HALF the inheritance! Yes, I would definitely feel bad if after years of being obedient and dutiful, I was never even given a “young goat” to celebrate with my friends!


But what is wrong with my way of thinking? I am thinking like a slave, a hired hand. If I wanted a goat, or even a “fatted calf”, it was mine for the asking! The father said in amazement, “My child, you are with me always! Everything I have is yours...” I must ask myself, “How do I think of myself before the Father? Am I His beloved daughter? Or do I think of myself as bound by rules and commandments? Am I free or am I a slave?” In Galatians 4:7, St. Paul writes, “You are no longer a slave but God's own child. And since you are His child, God has made you His heir.”




It is important to know the truth, that we are beloved, surrounded by blessing and grace. If we know that, we will be more generous and loving with others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy