Thursday, December 17, 2020

Good News!


 "The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ..." Matthew 1:1-17




Every December 17, this is the gospel reading we hear at the Simbang Gabi, “Night Mass”, the genealogy of Jesus from the time of Abraham! 


Ever since I started reading the Bible, I've skipped this first part of Matthew. But it’s read by the priest every year, on December 17, a few days before Christmas. Why? It’s so boring, so tedious! All those names! But when you consider ALL THOSE NAMES, it's actually very good news! There are men and women there who, if I chose my family tree, I wouldn't want them! But God chose them!


There's Rahab the prostitute, Tamar who slept with her father-in-law, Abraham who lied, Terah who was an idolater. We all know about King David, who although he was a man after God's own heart, and was Israel's greatest king, he was a murderer and committed adultery with Bathsheba who is not even named in the list. Then there's Manasseh who became king at 12 years old and reigned as an evil king for 55 years ! And who were Azor, Zadok and Eliakim? Who in the world are they?


 So why are all these sinners and nobodies good news to us? Just as they were chosen by God to be part of His family, so are we chosen by God to be part of His family! God chose these imperfect people, imperfect vessels, to bring His light and grace to a dysfunctional world!


Thank You Lord for choosing me, a nobody, a sinner, yet You chose me! Thank You for making me part of Your family, for showing me I am important in Your plan, that I have a place in Your Kingdom! May I bring light and grace to my corner of the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy