Saturday, June 04, 2022

Great Love

“Paul’s accusers stood around him, but did not charge him with any of the crimes Festus suspected.” Acts 25:7




It's hard for me, as a woman, to even think of following the example of Saint Paul. I can't see myself in his shoes. He was a tireless traveler. He encountered numerous hardships and was imprisoned about 4 times for a total of 5-6 years! He was a resolute man, patient beyond measure, courageous, and I don't think he regretted his decision to follow Christ even once! Here he is being accused by the chief priests and elders of the Jews of serious crimes they could not prove. 


But I do like looking to other saints to imitate, to learn from them, to see how they ran the race victoriously. I love Saint Therese of Lisieux for the simple, hidden life she led. She wrote, "What matters in life," she wrote, "is not great deeds, but great love." Like Mother Teresa, she did ordinary things with great love. Even when she was sick in bed, she was able to serve God by interceding. She saw herself as a beautiful flower in God's garden. Then there's Brother Lawrence who said, "The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer." For those of us who are constantly busy with the things of this world, he is an example of a man who could constantly practice the presence of God, whatever task he was doing, whether it be cleaning the floor or washing dishes in the monastery.


Then there's one of my favorite stories of Mother Teresa. While on the way to a grand party, she stopped to talk to a beggar. When she was fetched, because she tarried too long, she asked, "Can't you see I am talking to Christ?" She saw the faces of the poor, when most of us just pass them by. Yes, we need constant reminders, and saints with their frames like us, can show us it is not impossible to imitate Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy