Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Wash Me from my Guilt

“Thoroughly wash me from my guilt ​and of my sin cleanse me.” Psalm 51:4




Jesus told His disciples in John 13:8, that “Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me." It is after Jesus eats His last meal with them that He prepares to wash their feet. Of course none of them were prepared for that! 


At the evening mass for Holy Thursday, the priest washes the feet of some church goers. I am sure those chosen men and women wash their feet well before going to church! But the disciples did not have time to prepare. So of course, Peter and no doubt the others said, “NO WAY!" They were probably too ashamed to let Jesus hold their grimy, calloused feet with their long, dirt encrusted toenails! But Jesus said, "I have to wash your feet, or you won't get your inheritance, you can't have a part in My Kingdom. You won't be my brother."  And so Peter typically goes overboard and pleads, “Wash my hands and head as well!" 


Today, how can we allow Jesus to wash us, cleanse us of our sin and guilt? If we are Catholic, we can go to confession. I usually feel very refreshed after going to confession, like I took a bath after a trip to Divisoria, or a dusty marketplace. But it is good practice to ask forgiveness from God every day, going over the day’s activities to see where we failed Him. We can allow Him into the deepest recesses of our hearts and minds ,confident there is no condemnation, only love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy