Monday, February 05, 2024

My Spirit Within You

"Whatever villages or town He entered, they laid the sick in the marketplaces and begged Him that they might touch only the tassel of His cloak, and as many as touched it were healed." Mark 6:56



In Numbers 15:37-41 the Lord commanded Moses that His people should put tassels, fringes or TZITZIT on the corners of their shawls. They were to be a reminder of all the commands of God, that they might obey it. The Hebrew word "Halacha" for Law, literally means "walk". Following God's law meant that they were walking in righteousness. 

When the Jews prayed, they would cover their heads with the tallit, or the prayer shawl. It was white to symbolize the heavens, with blue stripes to represent the Ruach Ha Kodesh, the Holy Spirit of God. Going under the shawl for them was akin to being in their prayer closet, or "praying in secret" as in Matthew 6:6. 

I was thinking it would be nice to carry around with me a reminder to walk in righteousness. Perhaps a bracelet, a necklace, even a hanky with a tassel? 

Sometimes I wear a Mezuzah. It's a way to bring the Word of God with me wherever I go! In a Jewish home, they put it on the doorpost. Inside the glass vial is the “Shema" from Deuteronomy 6, and it begins with, “Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is One."



Of course it is best we do not need to carry around anything to remind us that we are God’s people and we should walk in His ways. It is much better that God’s Spirit finds a home in our hearts as the Father promised in Ezekiel 36:26-27. “And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy