Monday, March 15, 2021

A Joy!

“For I create Jerusalem to be a joy ​and its people to be a delight...” Isaiah 65:18




If we read the 65th chapter of Isaiah, we cannot fail to see how unhappy God is. “All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations, a people who continually provoke me to my very face .” (v.2-3) “I called but you did not answer, I spoke but you did not listen. You did evil in my sight and chose what displeases me.” (V.12)


And then the tone changes and God promises “to create new heavens ​and a new earth; The things of the past shall not be remembered ​or come to mind. Instead, there shall always be rejoicing and happiness ​in what I create; For I create Jerusalem to be a joy ​and its people to be a delight; I will rejoice in Jerusalem ​and exult in my people.” 


What changed? Always God is hopeful that there will be a ‘remnant’, a small group of people who will be obedient to Him, who will seek to delight in Him, who will not have rebellious spirits. Do we desire to be that people? A people God will call His joy and delight, the apple of His eye? How do we be that people? First, God already delights in us. Second, we are the ones that pull away, wanting to do things “my way”. Third, when we realize that we are running away from God and not toward Him, we can always , always make a decision to run back to Him, to repent. And like the prodigal son, we will be welcomed with wide open arms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy