Tuesday, March 02, 2021

We Become Like That Which We Love

“You have but one master, the Christ. The greatest among you must be your servant.” 

Matthew 23:10-11




Usually, if we hang around with people who like eating out, we end up eating out a lot. If most of our friends visit the gym often, we inevitably buy exercise outfits and work out. Mannerisms, the way our friends talk, their attitudes rub off on us. I used to go out with some friends who cursed. Even if I was determined not to do so, sometimes I would catch myself saying a bad word. My mom heard me once when I was home say a word that was constantly repeated by this group, and almost washed my mouth out with soap!


It is also catching if we spend time with Jesus. We will be influenced by the way He prays, and loves, and serves others. Bishop Fulton Sheen wrote in his book, Life is Worth Living, that “We become like that which we love. If we love what is base, we become base; but if we love what is noble, we become noble.” 


Colin Powell wrote something that bears thinking about: “The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve. Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity. An important attribute in successful people is their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people. As you grow, your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where they are. Friends that don't help you climb will want you to crawl. Your friends will stretch your vision or choke your dream. Those that don't increase you will eventually decrease you.”


I am part of a covenant Christian community. We are all different kinds of people. I doubt we would ever have met if not for community. One thing I know, we all love God and strive to love, serve, and encourage one another. Christ is our master, our leader, our friend. It is not a perfect community, but I know I am in the right group. Have you found friends who will help you to become what God purposed you to be? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy