Saturday, January 22, 2022

Love One Another

Jesus came with His disciples into the house. Again the crowd gathered, making it impossible for them even to eat. When His relatives heard of this they set out to seize Him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.” Mark 3:20-21




This passage had me completely perplexed which is why I wanted to think about it more. Why would Jesus’ relatives think He was crazy if crowds gathered about Him, making it impossible for Him and His disciples to eat? I should have thought this happened many times during His ministry. Did they always come out to rescue Him? One passage we may remember relating to this is what happened in the same chapter, verses 31-35.


While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, His mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to Him. Someone told Him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to His disciples, He said, “Here are My mother and My brothers. For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”


Was Jesus rejecting his relatives? On the contrary, He was building a new family which includes you and me IF we do the will of our Father. This was not easily understood by His kin. First He chose the disciples, and then He continued to preach to all who would listen to form a new community. How generous God is that He includes each of us in His plan! We become brothers and sisters. “A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)










 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy