Sunday, January 30, 2022

Radical Love

 "If I have not love, I am nothing." 1 Cor. 13:2




I asked God once if He could love me more, And I thought His answer would be that no, He already loved me infinitely. As usual, God has a different way of thinking, as it says in the Bible, “His thoughts are higher than our thoughts!” This is what He answered me in my heart, “You are like a tree planted beside a running stream. Just as a tree, if it stretches out its branches, can hold more water, if you stretch out your arms out in love to others, you will be able to hold more of my love."


Saint Paul in 1 Corinthians 13 talks about faith, hope and love. Faith is not needed in eternity because we will see everything. In heaven, all the promises are fulfilled, so we do not need hope. Only love remains. It is the currency of heaven. It will never be obsolete or unnecessary. And that is why we should practice love today and every day. Until we become experts in loving God and our neighbors!


It's difficult, but perhaps if we read 1 Corinthians 13 line by line and really let it sink into our hearts, we will be able to love the way God wants us to. For instance, "LOVE is not pompous". Do I act as if I am entitled? Am I courteous, especially to the poor, and those with no standing in the world? Am I kind to all those I am in contact with, even online? Even those with different beliefs, opposing views, a different candidate in the coming elections? Even if they insult me and bash me and call me all sorts of names? The Philippine campaign period this year is especially acrimonious and I suppose it is because of all the people paid to silence the opposition by using foul language we are not used to dealing with. I have a really difficult time discerning what is best to do. My sister even consulted a priest about making negative posts (but truthful) about a particular candidate. Is it justified? Is it a sin? The priest said to use her conscience in deciding. She decided to erase her posts and choose radical love. 


Contrary to what the movies and TV shows display, love is an action verb, not a feeling. And because it is an action verb, we will be able to SEE whether or not we love as God wants us to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy