Sunday, August 28, 2022

Sit in the Lowest Place

“Go sit in the lowest place...” Luke 14:10




I have to admit this is very hard for me to do. I like sitting where I have the best view and where I can hear what is happening well. That is why I usually come early. In Luke chapter 14, Jesus told a parable about a party where invited guests were picking places of honor at the tables. 


Jesus gives very practical advice, instructing, “When you are invited by someone at a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, lest someone more distinguished than you may have been invited. Then he who invited you both shall come and say to you, ‘Give place to this man’....When you are invited, go and recline at the last place...that he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher’ “. 


In the heavenly banquet, I can imagine Mother Teresa having a place of honor. She took care of the poorest of the poor, those who could not give her anything back, those who could not award her any medal, the voiceless, the powerless, those who counted for nothing at all in the world. She gave them value and showed them love. 


Ric Warren talks about the Mother Teresa Principle: “The more you care about the powerless, the more power you have. The more you serve those with no influence, the more influence God gives you. The more you humble yourself, the more you're honored by others.”


This is true of a lot of saints. Many gave away their riches, their positions, to serve others, like Saint Francis of Assisi, St. Anthony of Padua, and modern day Saint Katherine Drexel, who gave away more than $12 million dollars of her inheritance. They all have places of honor in the heavenly banquet. 


Father, teach me to be more loving, more humble, valuing what and whom You value. May I not feel entitled and self-important. May we learn from Your Son, Jesus, who was meek and humble of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy