Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Grace in the Desert

Thus says the Lord: “The people that escaped the sword ​have found favor and grace in the desert.” Jeremiah 31:2




We naturally stay away from the desert, a barren, dry place with hostile living conditions. But sometimes, we have no choice, for God chooses to bring us to a place  where we would rather not be. If we fight it and complain, we will learn nothing but despair and bitterness. But if we choose to accept God’s will, try to listen to what He wants to say to us, then we will find favor and grace. I speak from experience because God in His wisdom has taken me to deserts at different points in my life. Some things I have learned repeatedly is that He will meet us where we are, He will enable us, and He will not give us more than we can bear. I also know that His Word is powerful. As Paul wrote to the Hebrews (4:12): “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”


When we go through the desert, we have to depend on God, rely on Him for consolation and strength. We can say we are stripped bare, and that is the best place to be honest with God and with ourselves. I think God is very creative with the crosses He gives us to bear. I can truly say I prefer my cross to other peoples’, only because I trust Him who is my Maker. He knows me better than I know myself. 


There is my favorite story of a little boy trailing behind his father in a supermarket. He is carrying a basket of purchases as his father adds to it steadily. A woman looking at them asks the little boy in concern, “Isn’t that too heavy for you?” “Oh, no,” the little boy answers confidently, “My father knows exactly how much I can carry.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy