Sunday, December 04, 2022

Change Your Hearts

John the Baptist appeared, preaching in the desert of Judea and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” Matthew 3:1-2




In Matthew 4:17, we read, ‘From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”’


Then in Mark 1:15, Jesus says, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe in the gospel!"


Jesus wanted the message of repentance spread then, and He wants it proclaimed now, especially during Advent. He is saying, “Change your hearts and lives!” The word repent comes from the Greek word metanoeite, or metanoeó, which translates “to change one's mind or purpose,” or change the inner self, particularly when it comes to accepting of the will of God. (Strong’s Concordance) 


I remember when I was in High School, I had these really ratty pair of jeans. It looked like it was ready to split at the seams but I loved it. My dad did not feel the same about it. He was going to drive me to school and he said I couldn’t go to school if I insisted on wearing the offending pair. I obstinately said I wasn’t going to school then. My dad then countered if I wasn’t going to school that day then I was not going to school ever. I changed and he brought me to school. I was not usually so hard headed but it took my dad’s drastic threat to make me change my mind. It was a good thing I wanted to go to school!


I wager we all want to go to heaven. Jesus rules there. He has the final say just as my dad did. So if we want one day to be with Jesus, we have no choice but to obey what Jesus said we must do, and that is to change our hearts and accept what Christ did for us on Calvary’s cross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy