Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Reckless Love

Jesus said to his disciples: “What is your opinion? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray?” Matthew 18:12 




To be honest, I would not leave the ninety-nine in the hills to go in search of one stray sheep that got himself into trouble! What if a wolf comes and attacks the ninety-nine? What if a thief comes while I am out searching for that stupid sheep?! But then I am not Jesus making a very important point in this parable. The ninety-nine are the faithful sheep, the ones who believe and are walking and talking their faith. The wayward sheep is the one who is following the ways of the world, living by his own rules. Jesus  is describing the kind of love he has for those who go astray. He will not give up on them. In Ezekiel 34:16, God says He will search for the lost and bring back the strays. 


The chorus of the song, “Reckless Love” sang by Cory Asbury, goes like this:


Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God

Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the 99

And I couldn't earn it

I don't deserve it, still You give yourself away

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God


Yes, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God impels Him to look for that lost sheep! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy