Thursday, December 01, 2022

Solid Rock

“Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.” Matthew 7: 24




I remember when we were building our house, my dad who is an engineer inspected the preliminary digging and pouring of the foundation. He said the foundation of our house was deep and he approved of it. My dad is very interested in how things are made. One time we were oohing and aaahing over the beauty of a merry go round, and he was looking at the screws and connections instead. 


In Japan, where my sister lives, the contractors have to make sure all structures are as earthquake resistant as possible. Compared to other countries, the collapse ratio of buildings due to powerful earthquakes is rather low there. That is amazing considering Japan sustains over 2,000 earthquakes yearly. They have learned through the years and have made their Earthquake Resistance Standards even more stringent. 


How about us, have we learned that listening and reading God’s Word is so important? After all, He is the eternal rock we can and should build our life upon. I like this Christian hymn written by Pastor Edward Mote in 1834:


“My hope is built on nothing less 

Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy