Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Who Am ?

“God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.” John 3:16




No matter what kind of person we are, saint or sinner, construction worker or magnate, mother or whore, Jesus died on the cross for us. In the opera, Les Miserables, the protagonist, Jean Valjean, prisoner 24601, was freed from prison on parole after 19 years. When Valjean had stolen silver from the Bishop, he was caught by the police, and he claimed it was given to him. The kind Bishop went along with Valjean’s story, and gave him even more expensive silver candlesticks. Valjean realized he was given a chance to reinvent himself, and using the money from the silver, became a factory owner and a mayor of a small town. 


Valjean thought he was free of his past but he finds out that someone was accused of being Jean Valjean in his place. 


“Must I lie?” he sings, “How can I ever face my fellow men?

How can I ever face myself again? My soul belongs to God, I know, I made that bargain long ago.”

“He gave me hope, when hope was gone, He gave me strength to journey on.”


Because Valjean had given his life to God, he was brave enough to face Inspector Javert and appear in court to save the innocent man accused of being himself. 


“Who am I? Who am I? I’m Jean Valjean!” he reveals dramatically. He unbuttons his shirt to reveal the number tattooed on his chest.


“And so Javert, you see it’s true, that man bears no more guilt than you,

Who am I? 24601!”


Our lives may not be as dramatic as this opera adapted from Victor Hugo’s  masterpiece, but we can depend on God to give us this same courage to do what is right, to give us hope and strength during hard times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy