Sunday, November 13, 2016

Don't Panic!

"And when you hear of wars and insurrections, don't panic." Luke 21:9


 
For Catholics who go through the daily readings, we will notice that as we near Christmas, the readings are mostly about the end times. Ever since the time of Jesus, people were already curious about when would it occur and what would be the signs? In Luke 21:5-19, we see a clear answer from Jesus: "Nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes and plagues and famines and various places- and in the sky fearful omens and great signs." Indeed some of these are occurring in various parts of the world already. But Jesus says when we hear of these things, wars and insurrections, and other signs, we should not panic. We should not be perturbed. 

I see many of us panicking and being perturbed because of the extrajudicial murders being committed in the name of our  President's war on drugs. I see the same panic because Mr. Trump got elected, and Americans fear their rights will be trampled on. The complaints and indignation I read on Facebook about President Duterte, I read about Mr. Trump. They are even talking about impeachment for Mr. Trump already, and he hasn't even taken his place as President! 

As long as we live, there will be uncertainty. As long as we care, as long as we love, as long as we are committed to the truth, and peace, and God, there will always be risks. But Jesus said, "Do not panic." However dire our situation, we must not give in to hopelessness and despair. We must always focus on the truth that one day the forces of evil will be decimated, put away forever. Evil is not the final word of God for the people He loves, now and at the end times. 

Lord, may I trust in You. Whatever the chaos around me, may I find the peace of having You walking beside me. May I be always in the eye of the storm, inside Your bulwark. And may I also be able to bring more people to share this sacred space with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy