Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Fishers of Men!

"Come after me and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

 
In my other Bible, this is how it is put: "Come, be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people." I have this funny picture in my mind of people trapped in nets! As this is one of Jesus' instructions to His disciples at the very beginning and at the end of His time here in earth, I am sure this is an important thing we have to learn to do. In fishing, a serious fisherman needs to know what kind of bait to use for a particular fish. Artificial lures or flies? Worms? Leeches? Or your leftover lunch? 



When we go fishing, we never know if we would get home with one fish, a whole icebox full or not a single one. But the thing is, we have to go out into the water! I remember listening to Ric Warren when he came to the Philippines. He said that in Saddleback Church, they have many clubs. I guess that was their fishing ground. They had one for mountaineers, for hula dancers, for bikers, etc. So they are able to reel in like minded people interested in mountain climbing, hula dancing and biking. We all have interests, maybe even an expertise, and we can use that to do some fishing as Jesus instructed. The thing is to go out into the water. And just like with fishermen, it's up to God to provide the fish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy