Thursday, November 24, 2016

Enter His Gates with Thanksgiving!

"Enter His gates with thanksgiving..." Psalm 100:4
 
Today, people in the US will celebrate Thanksgiving. The first Thanksgiving meal happened in November 1621 and lasted for three days. The Pilgrims were feasting in gratitude for a good harvest and the Wampanoag Indians came to check out what all the noise was about. That's how they got together. Unfortunately relations between the two peoples deteriorated when more and more settlers arrived and started fighting for land. 

In 1 Thessalonians 5:18, Saint Paul admonishes us to thank God in everything, through good times and bad times. We should rejoice always (5:16). We may not always feel like rejoicing or thanking God but it should be a decision. Just like Abraham Lincoln made the decision for this proclamation, "I invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens."

Lord, may I set aside a part of my day to be grateful and thank You, whatever my circumstances. May I not need a proclamation from the President to count my blessings and to sing praise to You from whom all my blessings flow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy